Professional Business Systems Ltd


Go to content

Main menu:


Ashburton CBD

Contact Us > Mid-Canterbury Photos > Ashburton Photos

View of Ashburton from the north end of the CBD looking south, showing Baring Square East in the foreground, and the Centennial clock tower.

The clock was originally installed in the tower in the old Ashburton Post office in 1904. It stayed there until earthquakes in the Hawkes Bay and elsewhere prompted the government of the day to decree that towers on public buildings be removed.

The clock and its mechanism was carefully removed from the old clock tower, and was put into storage.

It was renovated for the Ashburton Centennial Project in the late 1970's and built into this magnificent new tower, designed by Bill Skews of Skews Architecture. Afer 30 years, the tower structure received some new steel, seals and flashings. The clock mechanism also received minor attention, and after a $187,696 refurbishment, it should now last long into the future.

The clock mechanism was reset at 12 noon on the 30th June 2011, and struck 12 times right on cue. After an absence of several months, the chimes can be heard again every quarter hour and can usually be heard right across town especially on a clear night.



Copyright 2011 Professional Business Systems Limited


















Back to content | Back to main menu